Champions League
Champions League
February 29, 2024
Marie Curie
Marie Curie
February 28, 2024
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
February 28, 2024
Texas Student´s Hairstyle Battle Tests CROWN Act at Barbers Hill High
Feature Articles
Kyla Hooshmand, Editor in Chief • February 29, 2024

Darryl George, an 18-year-old junior at Barbers Hill High School, has spent much of his school year isolated due to in-school suspension for...

US anti-Missile Base in Poland Starts Operations

A US anti-missile base will be operational Friday according to the Polish government.

The Redzikowo Air Base will be the first US base of its kind in Poland and the second of its kind in Europe. The first base is located in Romania. The base utilizes the American-built Aegis system which was designed to defend against ballistic missiles from Iran according to NATO.

Russia strongly opposes the construction of these bases calling them a threat to security.

The bases in Romania and Poland are part of a larger missile defense network that also comprises a radar facility in Turkey and US Navy ships.

The base was scheduled to start operations in 2018 but its opening has been delayed.

The Aegis system is designed to detect incoming missiles with satellite systems. Once the targets have been identified, interceptor rockets are launched from land installments or naval vessels. The rockets then intercept the missiles in space and detonate them.

The Aegis system is also deployed on American, Japanese, and South Korean ships in East Asia. There it is seen as protecting against Chinese and North Korean missiles.