Gray Whale, Extinct for Centuries, Spotted in Cape Cod

Gray Whale, Extinct for Centuries in Atlantic, Spotted in Cape Cod

Scientist have spotted a gray whale off the coast of Massachusetts. The species was extinct in the Atlantic Ocean for about 200 years. Aquarium scientist were flying 30 miles south of Nantucket on March 1st when they spotted a whale appearing to be feeding. The airplane circled the area and after 45 minutes of observations and photos, they confirmed it was a gray whale. Gray whales are normally found in the North Pacific Ocean and are easy to recognize, but the species disappeared from the Atlantic Ocean by the 18th century. In the past five years, there has been 5 observations of the whale. Aquarium scientist believe it is the same whale spotted in Florida last year. To explain the sightings scientists have pointed towards climate change. The Northwest passage that connects the Atlantic and Pacific through the Artic Ocean in Canada, has been normally ice-free which could be due to the higher global temperatures in recent years. Sea ice can limit the whales freedom to swim and block passageways and now that its more or less ice free they have more room and that wouldn’t be possible without recent years.