DR Congo Army Claims it Thwarted Attempted Coup

The Democratic Republic of the Congo says it had crushed an attempted coup against President Felix Tshisekedi in the capital city of Kinshasa. It reportedly involved both Congolese and foreign fighters. DR Congo Army spokesperson Brigadier General Sylavine Ekenge said that 50 suspects including 3 Americans and 1 naturalized British Citizen have been arrested.

He previously said on the state-run news source RTNC TV that the “situation is now under control”. His statement comes after armed men attacked the house of Vital Kamerhe, the former chief of staff and an ally to the current president. Witnesses say that about 20 armed men in uniform had attacked the residence. According to Kaherhe’s spokesperson and a Japanese ambassador had said that two guards and one of the assailants were killed.

The men also occupied the Palais de la Nation, the office of the President of the Republic located in the city center, a place which is highly guarded by the Republican Guard.

Japan’s ambassador in the Congolese capital has warned nationals not to go out.

President Tshisekedi has not made any public comment on the situation.

Local media reports said that the assailants were the New Zaire Movement members. The movement is linked to former exiled DR Congo politician Christian Malanga, a US citizen. Mr Malanga was shot and killed at the presidential palace after resisting arrest, according to spokesperson Ekenge.

His son, Marcel Malanga, was one of the three American nationals who were arrested over the alleged coup attempt.

The US ambassador to the DRC, Lucy Tamlyn, said she was “shocked” by reports that Americans may have participated in the coup attempt. “Rest assured that we will cooperate with the DR Congo authorities to the fullest extent possible as they investigate these criminal acts and hold accountable any US citizen involved,” said Ms. Tamlyn.

African Union chair Moussa Faki said he “strongly condemns” the coup attempt and welcomed the response of the country’s defense and security forces. “He takes this opportunity to condemn any use of force to change the constitutional order in any African state whatsoever,” said Mr. Faki.

President Tshisekedi was re-elected for a second term in disputed elections last year in December. He won 78% of the vote. Nearly 20 people were killed in election-related violence in the lead-up to the vote.

The DRC is a country with vast wealth in the form of minerals and many still live in poverty. The nation is filled with conflict, corruption, and poor governance.

Much of the country’s natural resources lie in the east which is filled with violence. Mr. Tshisekedi has attempted to deal with this using ceasefire deals, imposing a state of siege, and bringing in regional troops.

View Comments (1)