Kevin De Bruyne
Kevin De Bruyne
February 29, 2024
Luis Suarez Debut
Luis Suarez Debut
February 29, 2024
Ronaldo TOTY FC 24
Ronaldo TOTY FC 24
February 29, 2024
Texas Student´s Hairstyle Battle Tests CROWN Act at Barbers Hill High
Feature Articles
Kyla Hooshmand, Editor in Chief • February 29, 2024

Darryl George, an 18-year-old junior at Barbers Hill High School, has spent much of his school year isolated due to in-school suspension for...

Alabama Inmate Faces First Nitrogen Execution

58-year-old Kenneth Eugene Smith was sentenced to the death penalty for killing Elizabeth Sennett. He is now going to become the first person ever to face a nitrogen execution.

58-year-old Kenneth Eugene Smith was sentenced to the death penalty for killing Elizabeth Sennett. He is now going to become the first person ever to face a nitrogen execution. The US Supreme Court declined to block what Kenneth’s lawyers call a “cruel and unusual punishment”.

The way that this will work is by strapping a mask into the face of the inmate and pumping nitrogen into the victim. Nitrogen executions probably won’t become a new normal way of executing inmates, since it causes unnecessary suffering and a leak could cause harm to the people carrying out the execution. Breathing pure nitrogen without oxygen causes the cells to break down and leads to death. Alabama said in a court filing that they expected him to lose consciousness within seconds and die in a matter of minutes. Many medical professionals denounce this method though, they stated that “it could cause a range of catastrophic mishaps, ranging from violent convulsions to survival in a vegetative state.”

Lawyers for the inmate, who has been on death row since 1996 pled for another appeal to the nation’s top court in the hope of a last-minute reprieve which was not given.  The execution will take place on Wednesday at 10:00 PM PST.