Kevin De Bruyne
Kevin De Bruyne
February 29, 2024
Luis Suarez Debut
Luis Suarez Debut
February 29, 2024
Ronaldo TOTY FC 24
Ronaldo TOTY FC 24
February 29, 2024
Texas Student´s Hairstyle Battle Tests CROWN Act at Barbers Hill High
Feature Articles
Kyla Hooshmand, Editor in Chief • February 29, 2024

Darryl George, an 18-year-old junior at Barbers Hill High School, has spent much of his school year isolated due to in-school suspension for...

South Africa is to Deploy 2,900 Soldiers to DR Congo

South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa has ordered 2,900 South African troops to the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. According to the South African Government, the troops were sent to contribute to the South African Mission in DRC (SAMIDRC). The regional economic bloc approved the mission, the South African Development Community (SADC).

The one-year deployment is estimated to cost 2 billion rand ($105 million). It is expected to cover the period from December 15, 2023, to December 15, 2024.

The 16-member SADC had confirmed the mission in May of last year.

Congo is an important strategic target in the area due to it holding the title of the world’s top supplier of Cobalt and Africa’s top producer of Copper. Instability in the Congo could weaken the global supply line of these resources.

The SADC force is meant to supplement the Congolese forces in their fight against the armed groups in the area. The multinational force consists of troops from Tanzania, South Africa, and Malawi.

The deployment of troops comes after the recent attacks performed by the rebel groups in the area including the M23 rebels.