Russian Missiles Strike Kyiv

Ukraine intercepted 31 missiles over Kyiv launched by Russia overnight in what is the largest Russian attack in weeks.

Around 17 people were injured by falling debris, with 4 currently in the hospital. This succeeds a vow from Russia to get revenge over recent attacks on Russia’s border cities.

A map of Kyiv and all of its subdivisions.

Alarms sounded in Kyiv at 3:00 local time, and the first explosions occurred 2 hours later at 5:00. Debris fell in the districts of Podilsky, Shevchenkivskyi, and Sviatoshyn, causing fires on many buildings. In Lukyanivka, a northwestern residential district of Kyiv, the strikes left a large crater on the street. Windows were shattered and buildings were damaged. Many local businesses in Lukyanivka, including food and coffee shops, medical clinics, and others were destroyed.

The head of the city military administration, Serhiy Popko, said on Telegram that “all enemy missiles were shot down over Kyiv and on the approaches to the capital.”

It is still not clear what Russia was targeting in this attack.

A map of Kharkiv, Belgorod, and Sumy.

On Wednesday, 5 people were killed in an attack on the northeastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv. There was also another Russian strike on the city of Sumy, around 90 miles northwest of Kharkiv. This attack led over 150 people to be forced to evacuate.

Russian towns have also been hit by strikes. The Russian border city of Belgorod saw 16 killed and 98 injured in a series of attacks earlier this week. As a result, thousands of children will be evacuated over the next few weeks.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has just won the 2024 Russian presidential election and extended his time in office by 6 years, has vowed to continue the war. He also stated that Ukrainian missile strikes on Russia “do not and will not go unpunished.”

In Brussels, EU leaders are meeting to discuss the boosting of military and financial aid going towards Ukraine. Proposals to give over €1B ($1.08B) worth of frozen Russian assets to Ukraine are also being considered.