Fears In Japan After Plans to Release Nuclear Wastewater Into the Ocean

Scientists are afraid that if the Japanese government dumps waste from the Fukushima nuclear power plant, the environment can be affected horribly.

Japan plans to dump more than one million tons of nuclear waste from the Fukushima power plant into the Pacific. Scientists warn about the consequences of how it can affect the environment. This problem has been a huge challenge for technicians, as the tanks holding the nuclear waste are almost at their capacity. Once the site no longer has storage for it, these technicians agree that they may need to release the waste into the ocean. 

The ocean will be greatly affected by this since the contaminated water might destroy marine life.  The waste will pollute seawater that inhabits many different species and will then lead to fish and other animals in the marine food chain dying. We humans will then eat the fish, in turn causing us to get sick. Fishermen are also concerned because people will stop buying fish and they won’t be getting paid money. However, some believe that dumping this nuclear waste won’t affect the ocean.