In-N-Out is coming to our school for Eligible 6th & 7th Graders. From 1:19-3:15 pm  on the Honor Court Lawn & Covered Eating Area.

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah

Top 10 Movie Review

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah: Summary

The new movie, “You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah,” with the famous Adam Sandler and his kids, has just been released on August 25, and is already really popular, as it is top ten on Netflix in movies today! The main character, Stacy has a best friend named Lydia and they do everything together. They even planned their Bat Mitzvahs together. They then started to drift when they lost each other over a boy in their school, which threatened to rip apart their friendship. 

Cast 

Cast: Adam Sandler, Sunny Sandler, Sadie Sandler, Jackie Sandler, Samantha Lorraine, Dylan Hoffman, Idina Menzel, and lastly Sarah Sherman

Adam Sandler plays the dad of lovely Stacy Friedman (Danny Friedman). Stacy Friedman is played by Sunny Sandler. This is interesting because they are actually daughter and father in real life. Sadie Sandler, who is also Adam Sandler’s daughter in real life, plays Ronnie Friedman (Sister of Stacy). And their mother in the movie is played by Idina Menzel. But their actual mother is also in the movie, her name is Jackie Sandler and she plays Gabi Rodriguez and is the loving mother of Lydia Rodriguez who is played by Samantha Lorraine. These Characters are mostly the main characters, the others listed are important as well but they don’t appease as much as the others.

Reviews

There is a 6/10 rating on Netflix and 92% rotten tomatoes and now we are going to go over some of the reviews and opinions of this movie. 

“I love coming-of-age movies. This one was out of my realm because I know nothing about Jewish culture and it was a very important theme in the movie (obviously) but it was done in a really fun way that felt important for the representation of young Jewish kids while also educating us non-Jewish folks about some of the traditions. I feel like there were some fun little jokes that Jewish people will appreciate and understand more but that’s really fun and cool! Representation is always important. Adam Sandler is in it but he plays such a small/mundane role. And I appreciate that. As well as his wife. They really let their daughters shine in this. And as far as acting goes the girls did amazing. It came so naturally it didn’t feel forced or cheesy; they really made the movie feel authentic. This was an amazing watch and I’m so excited to see where these girls go if they choose to move forward in the acting world they have a natural talent. If you like coming-of-age films and learning about other cultures this is the film for you!!!” 

This review was posted by Skye Rayne. His review seems very positive and he seems to have really liked the movie. I agree with everything in this review and I don’t think he could have said a more honest review!

Here is another review: “I’ve never written a review for anything before, but after watching this movie I felt like I had no choice. As a 14-year-old Jewish girl, this movie is a horrible distortion of American Jewishness. Then why would I ever watch such a movie? My friends and I thought the title was funny, weird, and relatable, we all had bat mitzvahs (none even half as extravagant) so why not? Let’s check it out. The movie was meant to ‘show what being an American Jewish teenager is really like,’ I must say it did a horrible job.”

This person seems upset about how their culture was shown in this movie, and how it is very different than a real bat mitzvah in her life.

Have you watched this movie? And if not have we changed your mind about watching it?