What is Yom Kippur?

Yom Kippur is one of the holiest days people of the Jewish culture celebrate.

Yom Kippur

Now that Yom Kippur is coming up on September 25 or the tenth month of the lunar month Tishri many people don’t know why the day is celebrated. Yom Kippur is celebrated from September 24 at sundown all the way to September 25 at sundown in 2023. This is the day that the people of the Jewish culture do not eat, drink, or have sex and are usually wearing white. 

It is believed this holiday started more than three millennia ago in 1440 BC. The holiday originated from the prophet Moses and is known as the holiest holiday the Jewish people celebrate. Yom Kippur marks the end of the Days of Awe or Days of Repentance where they pray and beg for Forgiveness to God hoping he will forgive them for their sins.

Before the day of Yom Kippur, people have to prepare for this holy day. Before your fast begins, they like to bless the children and a religious ceremony called Kaparot where they attempt to transfer the sins of a human into a chicken in the early hours of the morning, they light holy candles, and some have the immerse in a Mikvah which is when somebody bathes in a pool of fresh water for restoration of ritual purity, and eat two festival meals.