In-N-Out is coming to our school for Eligible 6th & 7th Graders. From 1:19-3:15 pmĀ  on the Honor Court Lawn & Covered Eating Area.

Philippines Coast Guard Removes Barrier Placed by China

The Philippines Coast Guard has cut a barrier placed by the Chinese Coat Guard near the Scarborough Shoal.
Video from BBC

The Philippines Coast Guard has followed a presidential order to cut a barrier placed by China’s Coast Guard. The barrier has allegedly been placed to stop Filipino fishing vessels from entering the Scarborough Shoal, which is heavily disputed between the two countries.

A map of the claims in the South China Sea.

Chinese claims have already been denied in an international tribunal in 2016, yet it continues reinforcing them by sending its fishing boats into contested areas to harass other vessels. There are also videos of Chinese military vessels harrowing fishing boats in these areas. They have also been constructing man-made islands and building military installations on them.

After the 300-foot-long barrier was cut, the Filippino government condemned its placement of the barrier stating that it was a violation of freedom of navigation and sovereign territorial claims. Beijing retaliated by accusing the Philippines of needlessly increasing tensions in the area and violating its “indisputable” claims.