In-N-Out is coming to our school for Eligible 6th & 7th Graders. From 1:19-3:15 pm  on the Honor Court Lawn & Covered Eating Area.

Computers help determine what caused the dinosaurs extinction

These giant reptiles last roamed the earth 65 million years ago. Scientists have been wondering what made the dinosaurs go extinct. Thanks to computer assistance, we may finally know what most likely exterminated the dinosaurs.

Scientists have debated whether an asteroid or volcanic eruption ended in the dinosaur’s rain over 66 million years ago for decades. About three-quarters of life on Earth is extinct. They are putting an end to the Cretaceous period. Researchers have found a new way to identify the actual event that killed the dinosaurs.

One of the scientists’ hypotheses is that an asteroid collided with the Earth. This suggests that this asteroid hit the earth and was the cause of the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatan Peninsula. This major impact might have created a bunch of dust that caused the climate to change and make the dinosaurs go extinct. 

Another hypothesis was that volcanic activity caused them to go extinct. The volcanic activity produced a bunch of ash and dust to cover the earth and lava to destroy everything in its path.

Recently scientists used computers to help them with what happened to them.  The results of the computer researchers suggest that massive gas produced by the Deccan Traps eruptions was solely capable of causing the extinction. The eruptions that lasted around a million years projected enormous gas-filled lava across what is now known as India. 

View Comments (1)