Getting to Know Our Principal, Mr. Choe

We have interviewed Mr. Choe, the principal of Robert Frost Middle School so we can learn a little more about him.

Q1: Why did you choose to become a principal?

A: “I wanted to give back to the community.  Throughout my life, I’ve had people who believed in me and I wanted to do them proud. I was encouraged by my teachers and other principals when I was younger as they would say things such as, ‘You would be a good principal.’  I want to teach students to be the best version of themselves the same way my teachers and mentors supported me.” 

Q2: Where were you born and have you ever lived anywhere else?

A: “I was born in L. A and my parents came here to America before I was born. The farthest I’ve lived was in Central California. I like to visit my wife’s family in Korea.”

Q3: What ethnicity are you?

A: “I am Korean/American, but I am of  Korean descent because both of my parents are Korean.” 

Q4: What is your favorite food and drink?

A: “My favorite food is steak, and my favorite drink is prime.” 

Q5: How long have you been a principal at Robert Frost Middle School?

A: “I’ve been a principal for 5 years and I have only ever been a principal at Robert Frost Middle School.” 

Q6: If you weren’t a principal, what would you have become?

A: “I would’ve become a business owner that is paid very well.” 

Q7: How strict would you say you are on a scale of 1-10?

A: “I would say I am a warm demander. I am nice about demanding things from students but I still demand. I am also very strict when it comes to disciplining about racism or school fights.”

Q8: What’s your hidden talent?

A: “I enjoy reading books and I am good at most sports. I am a good golfer,  and I like to surf, even though I haven’t done it in a while.  I do Jiu-Jitsu, am a black belt in Taekwondo, and also did some boxing.” 

Q9: What’s your dream vacation?

A: “My dream vacation is to go to Bali with my family.”

Q10: How do you like to spend your summer breaks?

A: “I like to spend my summer breaks by going on short trips with my family, reading books, sleeping in, and playing golf.”

Q11: What is a good day like in school and what does a bad day look like”

A: “A good day is when students are being kind to each other when teachers are teaching when students engage in learning, and when everyone is happy.  A bad day in school would be the exact opposite of what a good day would be.”

Q12: What college did you go to, and what degree did you earn?

A: “I went to many colleges such as Cal Poly, CSU Dominguez Hills, and Claremont University. I went to Cal Poly and then finished my degree in human resources and psychology. I also have a masters in Educational leadership and a teaching credential from Cal Poly. I am also in a doctoral program at Claremont Graduate University.”