Hackers Arrested in Ukraine For Illegal Ransomware Attacks

In raids across countries, authorities have taken away laptops and have arrested 4 alleged criminals. This group of European hackers has stolen several hundred million euros from victims across 71 different countries. The arrests are the latest efforts from international police.

Ransomware is malicious computer software that locks up the computer until a ransom is paid. They usually lock up cryptocurrency like Bitcoin and give it back only if a ransom is paid. 

Recently, Europol officers have searched 30 properties resulting in 5 arrests of Russian speakers. Investigators have not said anything about their race. Russia is home to many ransomware gangs and arrests there are very rare.

There are other affiliates with this group in countries like South Korea, Poland, Switzerland, Canada, and increasingly Ukraine. These hackers are using ransomware software like LockerGoga, MegaCortex, HIVE, and Dharma as part of their attacks.

Seized laptops showed that they have disrupted more than 250 servers belonging to large organizations causing large disruptions until victims have paid a ransom. Police say the suspect had different roles in this criminal organization like some having the role of compromising the IT networks for their victims. While they do this, the others charge laundering the cryptocurrency payments made by the victims to restore their files.

Europol says these new suspects were identified after 12 others got arrested. They will release more information when they arrest more people who are part of this operation.