Plymouth State University

Plymouth State University

Plymouth State University is a public university located in Plymouth, New Hampshire. The price for in-state tuition is $14,560 per year and the price for out-of-state tuition is $25,000. Plymouth University is best known for its unique adventure education major. Students in this major explore wilderness expeditions, ropes courses, whitewater kayaking, rock climbing, mountaineering, backpacking, and winter camping. Other majors include accounting, allied, health sciences, anthropology, art, biology, and more. The acceptance rate is about 92% and you need at least a 3.0 GPA to attend.

Plymouth State University has a beautiful campus of about 170 acres. The university was founded in 1871 and it evolved from Holmes Plymouth Academy back in 1808. Dr. Ernest L. Silver, began to work as an administrator of the university. With his guidance, the school grew in many different ways. Soon after Sliver was hired as principal, he invited Robert Frost to join the faculty. Frost knew he must accept the offer to have a reasonable living although he wanted other things that seemed out of reach. He taught in Rounds Hall and lived on campus and wrote of Dr. Silver in the 35th year of his presidency: “We all owe Mr. Silver a debt of gratitude for the large and liberal way he encouraged our individualizes both as teachers and students under him. I went to Plymouth with him when he began his presidency and I have kept up a friendly interest in the whole 35 years of his unusually long administration. It warms the heart with reassurance to look on at anything that persists so successfully in this world of broken pieces.” While he was teaching, Frost longed to quit and pursue his dreams of becoming a full-time poet. Finally, he asked Silver to release him from the job and move to England with his wife and four kids. The rest is history.