In-N-Out is coming to our school for Eligible 6th & 7th Graders. From 1:19-3:15 pmĀ  on the Honor Court Lawn & Covered Eating Area.

The Netherlands is Joining a Coalition to Send Advanced Drones to Ukraine

The Netherlands is joining a coalition along with some of its allies such as the UK to send advanced drone technology to Ukraine.

The Dutch defense minister has stated that the Netherlands would be joining a military coalition that will supply the Ukrainian military with advanced drone technology. She stated that the coalition would also help bolster Ukraine’s offensive capabilities against Russian forces. The pledge also includes the supply of F-16 fighter jets, artillery, ammunition, and air defense systems to Kyiv.

For the Netherlands, there may be costs of up to 2 billion Euros according to Defense Minister Kasja Ollongren.

“We know of course that drones are very important in this war,” Ollongren said. “That’s why we are joining the drone coalition that Ukraine has started together with Latvia, together with other countries, to make sure that we do just that – increase production, use the latest technology, and to provide exactly what Ukraine needs.”

Ukraine’s defense ministry has already announced the participation of the UK in the program last month.

The use of drones has become a key part of the defense strategy of both Russia and Ukraine in the war for both attacks and reconnaissance. This is in large part due to the relatively low cost of drones compared to other ways of scouting and delivering ordnance. Both sides of the conflict have been widely using commercially-made drones originally made for hobbyists and racers. These drones are both small and cheap. The nations are also building up fleets of larger drones with longer ranges and heavier payload capacities akin to the drones used in Western countries.

Both the Netherlands and the UK have been contributing to the construction of Ukraine’s drone fleet.

Ukraine intends to domestically manufacture thousands of long-range drones for strikes deep into Russian territory. According to Ukrainian Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov, they already have 10 companies working on the production of said drones.

Ollongren said that the Netherlands will contribute “high-tech expertise from the commercial sector.” She however did not provide technical or financial details.