UN Proposal For Immediate Ceasefire In Gaza Vetoed By US

The US has vetoed a UN resolution for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza in favor of their own proposal.

The US stated that the Algerian proposal would “jeopardize” talks to end the war. Out of the 15-member body of the UNSC (United Nations Security Council), 13 voted in favor of the resolution with the UK abstaining.

Washington’s ambassador to the UN stated that it was not the right time to have an immediate ceasefire as negotiations between Israel and Hamas continued. In the US’s own draft, they warned Israel not to invade the city of Rafah, in which millions are staying, as well as calling for only a temporary ceasefire. However, this was on the condition that all hostages would be released on both sides and that barriers blocking humanitarian aid from reaching Gaza were lifted. It is still not clear if the UNSC will vote on this resolution.

World slams US ceasefire veto at UN Security Council on Israel's Gaza war |  Israel War on Gaza News | Al Jazeera

Much backlash came from the US veto. Algeria’s envoy to the UN said they would send “a strong message to the Palestinians” and further declared that “the Security Council failed once again.” A Palestinian representative to the UN stated that the veto was “reckless and dangerous”. Even allies of the US were unhappy with the decision. French representative Nicolas de Rivière showed disappointment towards the fact that the resolution “was not adopted given the disastrous situation on the ground”. However, Israel’s Prime Minister remains fixed on his commitment to the war, stating that he was keen on continuing it until they had achieved all their goals. He added that “there is no pressure, none, that can change this.”

Israel must follow any UNSC resolution, as these are legally binding.

This is the first time Washington has proposed a temporary ceasefire in Gaza to the UN, having vetoed previous resolutions using the word. US President Biden has also come under much pressure from Arab Americans to do more than simply stop the killing of Palestinians.

Former Israeli ambassador to the US Michael Oren stated that an issue with a temporary ceasefire linked to the release of hostages would “give immense leverage to Hamas”, who could “drag out those negotiations” indefinitely. “Any Israeli government would not meet those terms, it would mean Hamas wins the war and Israel loses,” he added.

The US resolution states that a ground offensive into the city of Rafah would result in countless civilian casualties along with hundreds of thousands of people displaced, potentially into neighboring countries. Rafah currently has one million people seeking shelter there – about half of Gaza’s population. The city only had 250,000 civilians living there before the war. Many of the displaced people have little to no access to food or safe drinking water. An Israeli war cabinet member has warned that this maneuver will be launched if Hamas does not release Israeli hostages by the 10th of March, the beginning of the Islamic holy month of fasting, Ramadan.

Around 30,000 Palestinians and 1,500 Israelis have been killed along with over 1.9 million Palestinians and 500,000 Israelis displaced so far.

View Comments (1)