Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, or more famously known as MIT, is a private 4-year university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The yearly tuition is about $59,750 and the acceptance rate is about 4%. You must have at least a 4.17 GPA to attend. MIT is known for its groundbreaking research and high ranks in sciences and engineering. The most popular majors are computer science, mechanical engineering, mathematics, econometrics and quantitative economics, electrical and electronics engineering, physics, aerospace, aeronautical, and astronautical/space engineering.

MIT was founded on April 10, 1861 which was two days before the start of the Civil War. It was founded by William Barton Rogers who was also the first president of the university. A beaver has been the university’s mascot since 1914. MIT has been awarded 98 Nobel Laureates. MIT’s motto is mens et manus, which is “mind and hand,” so the curriculum focuses on learning with a hands-on approach. MIT has been awarded 98 Nobel Laureates. Some notable alumni are Kofi Annan, Buzz Aldrin, Richard Feynman, Jonah Peretii, Benjamin Netanyahu, and more. Kofi Annan was a former secretary-general of the United Nations from 1997-2006. Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut and engineer who was the pilot of the 1966 Gemini 12 mission. He was also the Lunar Module Eagle pilot of the Apollo 11 mission in 1969. Buzz was the second person to walk on the moon. Richard Feynman was a theoretical physicist known for his work with the integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics, the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, and particle physics. Johan Peretii is the CEO of BuzzFeed and Benjamin Netanyahu is the prime minister of Israel.