In-N-Out is coming to our school for Eligible 6th & 7th Graders. From 1:19-3:15 pmĀ  on the Honor Court Lawn & Covered Eating Area.

Overview of US Aid to Ukraine

A $61 billion dollar aid bundle has just been passed by Congress and could be signed off in the next couple of days.

Air defense systems, missiles, and artillery shells are all things that may be sent to Ukraine as they are in urgent need of these resources. There are multiple systems that the US could send to contribute to these areas.

Air Defense

President Zelensky said last week that 1,200 Russian missiles, 1,500 drones, and 8,500 bombs had attacked his country in just this year.

Ukraine has a variety of Western air defense systems ranging in size from the Man-Portable Air Defense System (MANPAD) known as the Stinger to the massive Patriot surface-to-air system which is towed by a 10-ton truck. Zelensky has stated that he requires at least seven more air defense systems similar in capability to the Patriot.

Russia’s cruise and ballistic missiles, which include S-300 and S-400 surface-to-air missiles converted to ground attack missiles, along with large numbers of Iranian-made Shahed drones, are difficult to counter because of the volumes that are launched. The tactic that appears to be being used by the Russians is to overwhelm air defense systems with sheer numbers.

Missiles

Air defense systems are crucial to repel Russian air attacks on both civilian and military infrastructure which have only become more common as Russia has failed to make any significant gains on the ground.

The war on the ground is also vital. Since October, Ukraine has lost nearly 225 square miles of its territory to Russian forces due to Ukraine’s lack of enough artillery pieces. High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) have played a crucial war in Ukraine’s war on the ground. They can precisely deliver guided munitions to a target 50 miles away. HIMARS are also crucial due to their mobility and ability to arrive at a location, deploy, fire, and then move away quickly before the Russians can respond with counter-battery fire.

It is expected that more HIMARS will be sent to Ukraine.

There have also been recent shipments of the long-range version of the US Army Tactical Missile Systems (ATACMS) that have recently arrived in Ukraine. Older versions of the ATACMS system have been in the country since last year, but this newest version has a range of up to 186 miles. This takes the fight further into Russian-occupied territory.

Artillery Shells

There are also a large number of conventional artillery pieces such as the M777 howitzer which are starting to run low on ammo as they require a consistent supply of 155mm artillery shells. The US has already sent 2,000,000 of such shells and more are likely to be sent in this aid package.

The United States has what it calls a “very robust logistical network” that can send shells to Ukraine “within days.” Supplies are likely to be moved closer to Ukraine and be handed over as soon as the aid package comes into effect. However, getting the equipment to the frontline is a completely different matter as they will be under Russian attack.

F16 Fighter Jets

These predate the new shipment of aid but are notable now because they are soon to come back into service. Ukrainian pilots and service crews continue their conversion training to be able to fly and service the advanced aircraft. They are currently training in Romania. These multi-role aircraft provide air-to-air and air-to-ground capabilities, which will help bolster Ukrainian Air Defenses further.

Denmark, the Netherlands, and the US are expected to send dozens of F16s to Ukraine within the coming months. The jets won’t be a complete game changer to the war, but they will be another tool in Ukraine’s arsenal.

Moscow has been dismissive, saying the F16s wouldn’t make much of a difference on the battlefield and would be shot down by Russian Forces.