A Summary of Donald Trump’s Charges so Far

Donald Trump has accumulated over 100 charges so far. How could one of our presidents come this close to serving jail time?

Donald Trump, our former president, has faced numerous charges recently, mainly revolving around his attempts to push both the 2020 and 2016 elections in his favor. Before his indictment, the FBI and other government agencies were investigating for any evidence of the crimes he could have committed. This eventually led them to uncover many shady things that the 45th president had done, causing his charges.  With this profound evidence, Trump was indicted for the first time on March 30th this year in New York City. This was a historic event because never before in the US has a former or current president ever faced criminal charges. 34 of these were assigned to him after attempting to bribe someone to stay quiet before the 2016 election. The trial for this is happening on March 24, 2024. If Trump is found to be guilty, it won’t necessarily take him out of the 2024 election. Even if he serves jail time after the trial, becoming president is still technically possible.

This was the first of a series of four, the next one taking place in June 2023. This time, he was charged with stealing classified documents from the White House. The evidence the prosecutors have against him is that they claim to have a recording of Trump holding the documents. Another of their claims is that, according to them, they found the documents in the Mar-a-Lago. Trump’s trial for this case is set to take place around May 2024 and will be 2 months after the other trial he has.

The third indictment he faced was for his attempts to try and make the Georgia secretary change the votes for the 2020 election so that he would win over the state to the Republicans. The main action that he did was calling the secretary, trying to convince them to recount. His claim was that he had won the state, which is considered tampering with the election. The trial date for this one is unknown as of now. His arraignment has passed.

The final and probably most infamous indictment is based upon another phone call that Trump had with the government of Georgia. As mentioned before, he fell short in Georgia and was trying his best to win it, but was considerably more forceful with his attempts this time. He called the government, and after talking directly. “I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have.” (Trump). This is another attempt to tamper with results, which is why it is being held separately from the other charges. The indictment isn’t the most surprising part, however. On August 22, 2023, he appeared at the Fulton County jail, turned himself in for his charges, and got his mugshot taken. He did not serve any jail time. This had never happened before, and will probably not happen ever again.

As of September 5th, Trump is facing more than 100 charges spread over many states.